Yahoo! has been a significant player in the search, news, and advertising space for decades. Yes, decades.
Per Quantcast, Yahoo! still holds the number seven position of most popular sites on the internet. Instapage notes that if you ignore Yahoo! advertising, you’ll automatically miss out on over 30% of your potential market.
When most people think of advertising, they immediately turn to Google or Facebook. But it’s important to recognize that sites like Yahoo! have advertising platforms that are just as powerful and should not be ignored.
Are you interested in getting started with Yahoo! Ads? Here’s what you need to know.
1. Understand the Different Ad Types Available
Here are the four different ad types you can leverage on the Yahoo! advertising platform:
- Search – PPC ads that appear at the top of search engine results. Direct visitors to a compelling landing page for best results.
- Display – Retargeting ads that will help you reach people who’ve already visited your website. Dynamic ads are displayed at the top, bottom, sides, or middle of the content.
- Sponsored – Highly visual ads to drive engagement – single-image, carousel, native, and video. Tell a story with your sponsored ads to boost interaction.
- Yahoo! Mail – Ads that are displayed within the Yahoo! Mail platform. These have a high click-through rate. You also have the option to show banner ads in the Yahoo!’s email system.
Understanding when to leverage each ad type will allow you to maximize ad spend.
2. Budget for Yahoo! Advertising
Many companies allocate a considerable amount of money towards marketing and advertising.
As a small business, however, there are going to be limits on how much you can spend.
On Yahoo!, the amount of money you spend on an ad will vary depending on the ad type you choose. But since Yahoo! Ads aren’t used as much as other notable platforms, advertising on Yahoo! tends to be relatively inexpensive.
So, either create a budget to advertise on Yahoo! or allocate some of the funds that are being used elsewhere but aren’t producing meaningful results (keep the winners, eliminate the losers).
3. Develop Powerful Landing Pages
Advertising is like a tap. Once you turn it on, it starts flowing. The moment you stop pumping money into it, it turns off.
This makes it easy for you to direct a lot of traffic to a landing page to test its effectiveness. It is recommended that you A/B test various components of your page to determine what works best.
Keep in mind that the success rate of a landing page can usually be measured as a single digit (i.e., three to five percent). But a one percent difference can mean a world of difference, especially when there are 10s of thousands of visitors coming to your website. So, it’s worth going through the process of optimizing your landing pages.
4. Optimize for Mobile
Per IMPACT, average smartphone conversion rates are up 64% compared to the average desktop conversion rates.
With mobile device usage on the rise, you can’t afford not to optimize your ads for mobile. Many companies still have a desktop-first mentality, but it’s high time to think mobile first.
Whether on Yahoo! or another advertising platform, bear this in mind.
If you don’t take advantage of Yahoo! Ads, you could be missing out on a significant opportunity. Competition is significantly less than on sites like Google or Facebook, but the potential reach is still huge. Leveraging the Yahoo! Ads platform could prove to be a competitive advantage for your business if you do it right.
Get in touch with us if you need help with your Yahoo! advertising campaigns.